Death, Burial and Survivors

The death of a veteran can be overwhelming for surviving next of kin. To help your loved ones during this difficult time it is vital to having the following documents filed with our office.

  • Your military separation papers (DD214)
  • Current VA award letters
  • Marriage license, if applicable.
  • Dependent’s information, if applicable.
  • Have signed a VA POA with your VSO

Who to Notify of Death

  1. Your Veteran Service Officer 740-472-0743
  2. If veteran is receiving social security benefits notify your local social security office in person or call 1-800-772-1213.
  3. If receiving benefits or enrolled in programs from the VA call VA, at 1-800-827-1000
  4. If veteran is retired military, call Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) at 1-800-538-9552 and Retiree Casualty Section of the Defense Finance and Accounting at 1-800-321-1080
  5. If veteran is current or retired federal civilian employee notify the Office of Personnel Management at 1-888-767-6738
  6. If veteran is enrolled in VA sponsored life insurance policy contact Veterans Affairs Life Insurance (VAlife), Service Disabled Veterans Life Insurance (S-DVI) or Veterans Mortgage Life (VMLI) call 1-800-669-827-8477 or Veterans Group Life Insurance (VGLI) or Service Members Group Life Insurance (SGLI) call 1-800-419-1473

All Honorably Discharged Veterans Benefits

To apply for death and burial benefits we highly recommend that you please bring a copy of the veteran’s death certificate to our office and let us help you complete the necessary forms.

  • Government issued grave marker, headstone or medallion
  • Presidential Memorial Certificate
  • Burial Flag
  • Eligible for internment in a national or state veterans cemetery
  • Monroe County resident veterans will receive a grave flag holder with flag and a presentation case for burial flag and are eligible for a county issued death benefit
  • Military honor guard presentation at time of funeral or burial service available by request
  • Certain veterans may be eligible for an indigent burial

Possible Additional Benefits for VA Service Connected Veterans

  • Burial Allowance
  • Survivors possibly eligibility for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) or VA Survivors Pension

Explanation of Benefits

Life Insurance Benefits
VA life insurance can offer financial security for Veterans, service members, and their spouses and dependent children. Explore your options, manage your policy, and file claims to get the insurance benefits you’ve earned.

Burial Benefits
These benefits are payable to dependents of veterans who were receiving VA compensation or VA pension payments or in a VA healthcare facility at the time of death. All veterans whose service was honorable are entitled to a VA grave marker and a burial flag with military honors at their funeral service. If desired, a VA medallion that can be affixed to a monument may be issued rather than a standard grave marker.

National Veteran Cemeteries
Burial in a national cemetery is available to veterans of active federal military service, their spouses, and dependent minor children. Provided at no cost to the family, a national cemetery burial includes: The gravesite and grave-liner, opening and closing of the grave, a headstone or marker and perpetual care as part of a national shrine.

Arlington National Cemetery
Dayton National Cemetery
Ohio Western Reserve National Cemetery

Monroe County Death Benefit
As of January 1, 2022, the Monroe County Veterans Service Office will provide a death benefit of a one-time payment of $500.00 payable to (in order of preference) the spouse of the veteran, a child of the veteran or the party providing payment of the veteran’s funeral expenses. The office will also provide a display case for the burial flag presented by the funeral home.

To obtain this benefit the veteran must have been a resident of Monroe County at least 90 days immediately prior to their death. Documentation required includes a copy of the veteran’s report of separation form (DD-214) showing a discharge under conditions other than dishonorable, VA disability or pension award letter(s) (if applicable) and a copy of the death certificate. Also required are the following documentation from the beneficiary; a marriage certificate if the spouse, a birth certificate of the child or a funeral receipt or statement if other payer of funeral expenses. Benefit claim must be made within two years of the veteran’s death or the benefit will be forfeited.

Survivors Pension
This pension, like the others, is an income-based program available to surviving spouses and/or minor children of wartime veterans. The maximum rate is set by Congress, and all other income is considered when assessing the individual eligibility. However, the VA will also allow income reduction through the use of out-of-pocket medical expenses. Additional amounts may be paid for eligible dependents.

Dependency Indemnity Compensation (DIC)
DIC is payable to the surviving spouse and/or minor children of veterans whose death has been adjudicated by VA as being “service connected.” Along with monthly payments, eligible survivors may receive health care coverage through CHAMPVA and education benefits under Chapter 35, Dependents Educational Assistance.